Good morning and happy weekend, guys!
This a.m. I woke up to sunshine and weather that wasn’t freezing (aka low 40′s) & I’ll take it! I also ambitiously signed up for a 10:15 am spin class, which I am oddly excited for. So it’s gonna be a good day!
So how was your week? Mine started out a bit rocky with a case of the Mondays/ a minor hip injury at the gym (I know – I’m 80), but quickly turned around. May or may not have something to do with the fact the bf was home studying for his series tests…it was a nice change to have someone to come home to! (He typically comes home from work when I’m already in bed). I also felt inclined to step up my game a little bit in terms of dinner – like last night’s homemade pasta: Cauliflower “Alfredo” with Spinach & Elbow Macaroni:
“This is like a real dinner. I think this is your best dinner yet.” The bf chimed. I’ll let it slide that I have made other “real” dinners and will choose to interpret his comment as “this is a restaurant quality meal and I like pasta with white sauce y u no make more of it.” Regardless it was the perfect date night dinner – & if he wasn’t about to study for another 6 hours and I wasn’t waking up to spin, would have gone perfectly with a bottle of vino.
I was inspired by, once again, my favorite vegan blog Oh She Glows, but I modified the recipe a little bit based on the ingredients I had available and some other recipes had seen on the web. Oh internet, j’adore. Now I wouldn’t necessarily classify this recipe as easy, but it isn’t hard either – it just takes a little more time than my recent go-to dinner of toast topped with avocado, red pepper flakes and an egg over easy. But man was it worth it. Not only was the pasta absolutely delicious, but it was the kind of dinner that leaves you feeling good: full & satisfied, but not too heavy. I <3 vegan food for that very reason.
Cauliflower “Alfredo” with Spinach & Elbow Macaroni
- 4 cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Pasta of choice (I used Spelt Macaroni)
- 3 cups spinach
1. Add cauliflower to a large pot and fill with water (until cauliflower is covered). Bring to a boil and then cook for 6-7 more minutes. Drain.
2. Saute the chopped garlic in olive oil over low heat for 3 minutes.
3. Add the garlic, cauliflower and all other ingredients (except spinach and pasta) to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Make your pasta (follow directions on package).
5. In the same pan you used for the garlic, add the spinach plus 1/2 cup of water and saute over low heat.
6. Drain pasta, add desired amount of sauce and stir in the spinach.
And voila! You are left with a delicious plate of pasta. Feel free to go heavy on the sauce. It is made of cauliflower, after all.
To complete the meal, go for a high protein dessert like healthy cookie dough. Yes, this was made (and eaten before I could take a picture) too.
Well I guess I’m off to spin.. hope ya’ll have a great weekend!